Knowing our communities.
Purpose: To be effective providers, it is essential to know our communities, gaps in services, and resources. In this assignment, research a specific community by going out into the community.
1. Select your community. It can be the one where you work or live, or any defined local area.
2. Review data for your community:
Some suggested sites:
3. Get out into the community and collect documentation. Documentation can be videos, photographs, bus tickets,
receipts, flyers, promotional materials, etc.
4. Compile your documentation into a narrated video, using the presentation format of your choice. Video should
1. Health Care Access: Identify community clinics in your area. What services they provide?
2. Local Public Health Services: Are Public Health services at the city, county, and/or state level? What
services are provided? What else is needed?
3. Vaccination Rates: How does the vaccination rate for children entering school compare to national
statistics? If a family has no health insurance, where can their children be vaccinated? Where can you get
a flu shot? How much does it cost?
4. Disaster Planning: How has your community prepared for disaster? Where can someone go to learn
more or be involved?
5. Health Education/Promotion: Find examples of health messages in the community. They could be in
billboards, bus signs, warning labels, etc. Include at least four in your presentation.
6. Community Engagement – What flyers, media or other information include a call to action? Who is
trying to engage consumers, and how? Is it effective?
7. Reflection: how would you rate the level of services? What is needed?
The post Knowing our communities first appeared on COMPLIANT PAPERS.